ASSESSMENT WORKSHEET 1 Multiple choice:
The industrial revolution began at about the ( 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th ) century. It changed the world focusing on new ( methods, inventions, improvements, success ) and organization for producing ( clothes, goods, industry, toys ), industrialization altered the people ( live, earning, entertainment, study ). The revolution consisted of the ( imported, application, exported, ordering ) of new sources of ( product, owner, landlord, power ) to the ( process, procedure, production, tool ), achieving transmission equipment necessary to apply this power to manufacturing and progressively replaced the ( animal, skill, muscular, power ) strength of humans and animals as the power sources. Before the industrial revolution, nearly all production in manufacturing and ( industry, society, agriculture, selling ) relied on equipment powered by people or draft animals, which designed for ( manual, tools, industrial, method ) use in planting or harvesting with the aid of simple tools like sickles, looms for weaving cloth by foot pedals, fibres strung by hand, and animals often pulled plows for farming, with some small assistance from waterwheels which used mainly to mill grain. The industrial revolution progressively introduced ( water, wind, steam, fire ) or other power to the production process.
ASSESSMENT WORKSHEET 2 Choose the correct answer for each question. wrong answer will lose your marks. 1.
What was the Industrial Revolution? A.
The industries set up after the 1789 French Revolution
The acceleration of technical and economic development that began in Britain around 1750 Where all the workers performed their work from 9 to 5
Read each question carefully, as
What was the “new” industry dominated by? A. B.
Import and export Animals and muscular strength
Machinery and manufacturing
Clever inventions such as the Flying Shuttle in 1738, the Spinning Jenny in 1764, and the Power-Loom in 1082 all increased efficiency. This meant that cloth could be produced and than before. A. B.
Which industry saw the earliest benefit of innovations? A. B. C.
the textile industry the railways the agricultural industry
ASSESSMENT 3 By means of the “Flash” software, try to show the working principle of the modern steam engine.
ASSESSMENT 4 Questions for discussion: 1. Who was James Hargraves and what did he contribute in the Industrial Revolution? 2. Name some of the most important inventions of the Industrial Revolution. 3. Describe the steps in steel making from the following Websites: http://www.library.unisa.edu.an/infores/steel/ http://www.andrew.cmu.edu.user/vck/pghretro.htm http://www.crowsnest.bc.ca/coal12.html
ASSESSMENT WORKSHEET 5 List the name of Inventor corresponded to their invention or development.
Invention or Development
1. Revolutionized textile production by invention the flying shuttle.
2. Revolutionized steel production with his name as process
3. Famous English engineer and locomotive builder – invented the ‘Rocket’.
4. Improved textile production by developing the water powered ‘spinning mule’
5. Successfully applied the “uniformity-system” to produce weapons by using interchangeable parts.
6. His early experienced led to the development of locomotive.
7. Invented and developed the ‘spinning jenny’.
8. Went into partnership with James Watt and provided many successful steam powered machines.
9. Had world-wide reputation of producing machines and construction of the first micrometer that could measure accurately to one millionth of an inch.
10. The most famous inventor that invented many electrical appliances.