Survivor to Provider SUD CONFERENCE September 16th, 2013 Emmet E. Mitchell
Today’s Goals • Goal #1 – To highlight the importance cultural competency.
• Goal #2- To discuss how Root Cause Analysis plays a part in identifying and breaking cycles of at-risk behavior. • Goal #3 – To use the challenges and barriers within the African-American culture as a discussion topic for root cause analysis
Cultural Competency Defined • Cultural competence is defined as a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that come together in a system, AGENCY, or among PROFESSIONALS and enables that system, agency, or those professionals to work effectively in cross– cultural situations .
ICEBERG Surface Service
Life Changing Services
Root Cause Analysis Defined Process by which you attempt to solve a problem or set of problems by identifying and correcting the root cause of the events, as opposed to addressing them by symptom. By addressing and correcting root cause, problem reoccurrence can be prevented.
Root Cause Analysis Promotes Permanent Prevention Ask yourself the question Why? five times…. The roots will affect how the tree grows…..
“To Be Ignorant Of What Occurred Before You Were Born Is To Remain Always A Child. For What Is The Worth Of Human Life, Unless It Is Woven Into The Life Of Our Ancestors By The Record Of History.“ Marcus Tullius Cicero Roman Author, Orator, & Politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
Survivor To Provider Emmet E. Mitchell The Milestones Agency www.themilestonesagency.org (313) 444-2055
Survivor & Provider Defined... • Survivor • a person who continues to “function” in spite of opposition, hardship or setbacks • Provider • a person who supports a family or another person
If you control a man’s thinking,
The Miseducation of the Negro
you don’t have to worry about his
Carter G. Woodson
have to concern yourself about
When you determine
what a man shall think, you don’t what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you don’t have to compel him to
accept an inferior status, for he will seek it for himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you don’t have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.
Nothing is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
% U.S. Population
% Prisoner Population
2010 U.S. Census Bureau
The New Jim Crowe Michelle Alexander
A black child born today is less likely to be raised by both parents, than a black child born during slavery. The recent disintegration of the African-American family is due in large part to the mass imprisonment of black fathers.
If the father is absent…
The daughter may end up here…….
If the father is absent…
The son may follow him here…..
If the father is absent…
The son may end up here
Poverty, Ignorance and Depression is a state of being
Not a statistic, derogatory tag, or diagnosis - EEM
That state of being…
Promotes hopelessness and hopelessness ignites self-destruction and the need to escape. Escape is a form of survival.
Pulp Fiction Ezekiel 25:17 “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.” – Jules
“You cannot provide in survivor mode!” - Emmet E. Mitchell
How Did This Happen ? • The Miseducation of the Black Man in America was a premeditated strategy to help build the economic infrastructure of this country. • Capitalism • Racism • Elitism
The Willie Lynch Letter Manual The Making of a Slave December 25th 1712
The Willie Lynch Letter Was Not A Letter! “I guarantee everyone of you that if installed correctly, it will control the slaves for at least 300 years.” • It was a manual to teach novice slave owners how to control their slaves using fear, distrust, and envy for control – Using small differences among the slaves and made them bigger: • Division: – Age – young vs. old – Color – black vs. white (overseer must distrust blacks) – Intelligence – smart vs. ignorant – Size – big vs. small – Sex – Man vs. WOMAN – Shade – light vs. dark – Status – house nigger vs. field nigger
Let’s Make A Slave! A black nigger male A black nigger female A black nigger boy
Reduce them from their “Natural State” in nature
• For an orderly future, special attention must be paid to the female and youngest offspring • Both must be taught to respond to a new language, psychological and physical instruction • He went on to warn that if you are not careful, they may kill you in your sleep (return) • You can’t trust them or get them to work in their “natural state” • Pay no attention to the generation of original breaking but concentrate on future generations
Let’s Make A Slave! • Break the mother/she will break the offspring in its early years of development, and deliver it up to you. Her normal female protective tendencies will have been lost in the original breaking process • Take the meanest and most restless nigger, strip him of his clothes in front of the remaining male niggers, the female nigger, and the infant nigger. Tar, feather and draw and quarter him. The next step is to take a bullwhip and beat the remaining nigger male to the point of death. • When in complete submission, she will train her offspring in the early years to submit to labor when they become of age.
Breaking the African Woman Where is the black man?
• Relationship reversal • No longer a strong dependency on black male • Limited protective tendency toward her independent male offspring and would raise male offspring to be dependent on her
• We reverse nature by pulling a civilized nigger apart in her presence. By her being left alone, unprotected, with the male image destroyed, the ordeal caused her to move from her psychological dependent state to a FROZEN INDEPENDENT STATE • She will raise her MALE offspring in reversed roles for fear of the young male’s life, she will psychologically train him to be mentally weak and dependent, but be physically strong. • Nigger female out front – nigger man behind and scared
If you control a man’s thinking...CGW • Before the breaking process, we had to be alert all the time. Now, we can sleep soundly, the nigger female stands ground for us. • By killing off the protective male image, we created an orbiting cycle that turns on its own axis FOREVER, unless a phenomenon occurs and re-shifts the position of male/female slaves.***
Natural State Language • Work • to build self, family, community
• Provide • love, food, shelter, knowledge • Protect • family, home, assets, beliefs
The Replacement Language • Peculiar Institution – it is empowering and it leads to the heart of people • Foreigners
• Teach a slave your language • “Our Crops” Django • “Man to Man” • The Hog Pen Story / He will soon be in your house
What is the modern day hogpen?
The Modern Day Hogpen
I freed thousands of slaves and could have freed more if they knew they were slaves – Harriet Tubman
What the modern day language should look like… • Spiritually Conscious • Values and Expectations • Either they are never established • Or they are not reinforced by male leadership (theory vs. practice)
• Quality of Living • • • •
Healthcare Education Wealth building Relationships
All history is a current event “The events to which transpired 5,000 years ago, 5 years, or 5 minutes ago have determined what will happen 5 minutes from now, 5 years from now or 5,000 years from now. All history is a current event.” John Henrik Clarke
The Moynihan Report,1966 The Case For National Action
• Daniel Patrick Moynihan – New York Senator until 2001: • Chapter 1 – The Negro American Revolution • Chapter 2 – The Negro American Family • Chapter 3 – The Roots of the Problem • Chapter 4 – The Tangle of Pathology • Chapter 5 – The Case for National Action
The Negro American Revolution • “Lincoln freed the slaves”, but they were given liberty, not equality. It was therefore possible in the century that followed to deprived their descendants of much of their liberty as well. – D.P. M.
• The negro family battered and harassed by discrimination, injustice and uprooting, is in the deepest trouble. While many young negroes are moving ahead to unprecedented achievement, many more are falling further and further behind.
The Negro American Revolution • At the heart of the deterioration of the fabric of Negro society is the deterioration of the NEGRO FAMILY
• A fundamental insight of psychoanalytic theory, for example, is that the child learns a way of looking at life in his early years through which all later experience is viewed and profoundly shapes his adult conduct.
(Generations have been raised by Willie Lynch)
The Roots of the Problem • As a direct result of divorce, separation, and desertion, a very large percent of Negro families are headed by females • His existence as a human being was given no recognition by any religious or secular agency, he was totally ignorant of and completely cut off from his past and he was offered absolutely no hope for the future • His children could be sold
• His wife could be violated • His so-called marriage was somewhat comical
Jim Crow • The negro male was most affected by Jim Crow • Destructive to the male psyche to “keep him in his place” • The female was no threat (WL)
• Jim Crow worked against the emergence of a strong male figure in most cases • At a man’s essence is his “swagger” - In the Jim Crow south, the “sassy nigger” was lynched.
• By 1863, at the time of emancipation, Negro women were already “accustomed” to playing the dominant role in family and marriage relations
The Tangle of Pathology • In essence, the negro community has been forced into a matriarchal structure which, because it is out of line with the rest of American society seriously retards the progress of the group as a whole, and imposes a crushing burden on the negro male, and in consequence, on a great many negro women as well. • The arrangements of American society facilitate male leadership, and rewards it. A subculture, such as the Negro American, in which this is not the pattern is placed at a distinct disadvantage.
The Tangle of Pathology • Thomas Pettigrew • “The negro wife in this situation can easily become disgusted with her financially dependent husband, and her rejection of him further alienates the male from family life” • Whitney Young • “Both as a husband and as a father, the Negro male is made to feel inadequate, not because he is unlovable or unaffectionate, lacks intelligence or even a grey flannel suit, but in a society that measures a man by the size of his paycheck, he doesn’t stand very tall in comparison with his white counterparts. To this situation he may react with withdrawal, bitterness, aggression both within the family, and racial group, self-hatred, or crime; or he may escape through a number of avenues that help him to lose himself in fantasy or to compensate for his low status through a variety of exploits.”
Fantasy and compensation…
Willie Lynch Letter meets The Moynihan Report
• It was by destroying the Negro family under slavery that white America broke the will of the Negro people. Although that will has reasserted itself in our time, it is a resurgence doomed to frustration unless the viability of the Negro Family Is Restored!***
Willie Lynch’s Training Manual Has Traveled A Great Distance
Where do we go from here? The game has now changed....... • Things the black man must unlearn • Self-hatred • Drugs in any form are acceptable • The misuse of the black women – his most precious resource • Conspicuous consumption • There is a limit to my greatness • Things the black man must learn to value • GOD • Family • Health The Secret • Education • Wealth • Legacy
Swag is relative….
Family Business “I always felt it was important for my children to see me loving my wife” – Lou Holtz
To request this presentation for your event: Contact:
The Milestones Agency www.themilestonesagency.org [email protected]
Emmet E. Mitchell Author of
Game on Consignment The War on Poverty, Ignorance, and Depression For speaking engagements, to purchase a book, or for self-publishing workshops Contact the Author: [email protected]
Copies Available for $13.95 313-444-2055