Week 2 - \"The History\" - Canning Housing Co
Download Week 2 - "The History" - Canning Housing Co...
The Canning Street Area
Architects, politicians, and the desire for immortality
John Foster Snr 1758 – 1827 • father of John Foster Jnr. Senior Surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool succeeding Henry Berry. In 1824 he was succeeded as Senior Surveyor by his son while Jesse Hartley replaced him as dock engineer at Liverpool Dock Trustees. • During his time as dock engineer, Foster completed only one dock (Princes Dock). He also converted Manchester Basin to an enclosed dock (Manchester Dock) and expanded several other docks including George’s Dock and Queen's Dock. The warehouse at King's Dock was built by Foster
John Foster Jnr 1787 – 1846
• studied under Jeffry Wyatt in London, in 1809 travelled the eastern Mediterranean. During 1810–11 he accompanied C. R. Cockerell and the German archaeologists Haller and Linckh in their excavation of the temples at Aegina and Bassae. He returned to Liverpool in 1816 and joined the family building firm. He succeeded his father as senior surveyor to the Corporation in 1824, until the Municipal Reform Act of 1834. His own designs included The Oratory, St James Cemetery, and St. Andrew's in Rodney Street. The second Royal Infirmary, the public baths, the domed Custom House. He is often attributed as the architect for numbers 2–10 Gambier Terrace.
Peter Ellis 1805 – 1884
• From the mid-1840s he lived at 40 Falkner Square, a house which he designed. • designed Oriel Chambers in 1864 at the corner of Water Street and Covent Garden in Liverpool, considered by many architectural historians to be one of the most influential buildings of its age, a precursor of the modernist style in architecture and one of the earliest attempts to break away from the classical tradition of commercial architecture. • learned his trade working with his father on several terraces of properties in Audley Street (1824), Kent Square (1830) and Great George Square / Upper Pitt
40 Falkner Square • Designed by Ellis • Lease bought by Ellis in 1844 • The area was a blank canvas for architects to be creative and stamp their personality on the development.
Ellis’ influence in the Canning area
• In 1835 Peter acquired a lease on property and neighbouring building land in Sandon Street (originally a part of Chatham Street). One of the properties became Peter and Mary's first home, and it was whilst they were living there that Peter submitted designs for the 1839 St George's Hall competition subsequently won by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes. In 1843 Peter acquired a lease upon which he built 78 Canning Street and in the following year he obtained a lease on neighbouring land upon which he built what became 40 Falkner Square, the house in which he and Mary lived for the remainder of Peter's life.
Oriel Chambers • Attracted praise and criticism for being modernist.
Thomas Haigh • Lived at No. 4 Canning Street • Associate of Peter Ellis • The 1830 warehouse, Liverpool Road, Manchester, is a 19th-century warehouse that forms part of the Liverpool Road railway station complex. It was built in five months between April and September 1830, "almost certainly [to the designs of] the Liverpool architect Thomas Haigh". The British Listed Buildings survey attributes the work to George Stephenson and his son, Robert.
St Bride’s, Percy Street • Designed by Samuel Rowland. The building work started on 29 August 1829 and was consecrated on 29 December 1830. It was built for the Rev. James Haldane Stewart. • It is deemed to be the best surviving Neoclassical church in Liverpool. It is temple-like in appearance and has a monumental portico of 6 unfluted Ionic columns across the west end. The east window is of stained glass in the Renaissance style and was installed c1905. In the chancel there is a monument to Rev. Stewart who died in 1854. There is another monument to Mr W.M. Foster, his wife and servant, who all drowned in the wreck of the steamer Rothsay Castle in 1831.
Michael Alexander Gage • Was originally a tailor from Kings Lynn, Norfolk • Settled in Liverpool in 1812, became a member of a Liverpool Masonic lodge • Was the leader of the Liverpool Masonic Rebellion in 1823 • Became a leading engineer and cartographer, designing the famous plan of Liverpool in 1836 • Became involved in local politics, being elected as a councillor for the Abercromby Ward in the 1840s • A campaigner against the Rivington Pike Scheme
George Canning • 11 April 1770 – 8 August 1827 • Friends with John Gladstone • Was PM in 1827
Canning Dock: in 1832 it was officially named after the Liverpool MP, George Canning
Edward Falkner Sheriff of Lancashire
• In 1797, a rumoured invasion by the French led Falkner to react quickly; within 24 hours he had mustered a fighting force of over 1000 men ready for action. • News of this quickly assembled force reached France and the threat was withdrawn. • Later, Falkner – a hero, invested in land around what became Falkner Square, which was completed in 1830, the central park area being acquired in 1835. • However, the area was too far out of Liverpool, and up a considerable incline making horse and carriage difficult. It became known as ‘Falkner’s Folly’.
William Huskisson 1770-1830 • British statesman, financier and MP for several constituencies, including Liverpool. He is best known today as the world's first railway casualty. He was run over by George Stephenson's locomotive engine Rocket.
Huskisson Monument • Greek revival • John Foster Jnr • 1836
William Ewart Gladstone • 29 December 1809 – 19 May 1898 • Born at 62 Rodney Street • PM four times • Supported Irish home rule and electoral reform
Henry Neville Gladstone, son of William Ewart Gladstone built Burton Manor in 1904
History of Blackburne House • The house was built in 1788 for John Blackburne, at a time when this was in the countryside outside Liverpool. Blackburne originally came from Warrington. He was a wealthy salt refiner and a supporter of the slave trade. In 1760 he had been Lord Mayor of Liverpool. In 1844 the house was bought from Blackburne by George Holt of Sudley House. Holt was a cotton broker and merchant, and an abolitionist. He was also a supporter of women's rights, and on 5 August 1844 he opened the house as Blackburne House Girls' School. It was the first school for girls in Liverpool, and sited directly opposite the Mechanic's Institute, a school for boys on the other side of Hope Street. Holt was the director and president of the school until he died in 1861, when the school was taken over by the Mechanic's Institute. The building was extended in 1874–76 by W. I. Mason, who added a wing to the north and a central tower. In 1905 it came under the management of Liverpool City Council, and continued as a school until it closed in 1986.
Joseph Williamson • Constructed the mysterious Tunnels • 10 March 1769 – 1 May 1840
• Started in 1816, finished on his death in 1840 • Employed returning soldiers from the Napoleonic wars