Welcome to Honiton Sixth Form
Download Welcome to Honiton Sixth Form...
Why join us?
• Subject choice/class size/facilities • Practicalities- can they get there? Cost? Length of day? • Pastoral support while they learn • Help to make the next steps • ‘Feels right’ – will they fit in? Will they enjoy it? • Why wouldn’t they come here?
• It’s no different from Year 11 • Facilities aren’t as good as some • I need to be more of a grown up • I want a change of teachers/surroundings • Honiton wouldn’t support me in my aspirations.
• I want to take subjects Honiton doesn’t offer.
• Support from tutor, teacher, Andrea, myself, Mr Holt… Student Contract • Bulletin and emails to communicate • Parent links- via Progress Day, Subject meetings, emails, phone calls: Student, tutor and parent/carer sign a Contract. • System of close monitoring of attendance/progress via tutor/Contact Meetings/Subject and Progress Reviews • Student is expected to take more responsibility as an independent learner over these very fast two years.
• Support with UCAS and aspirational career paths eg 2012 Tommy Shepherd Nottingham Maths A* A* A* A Jess Doe Southampton Medicine A B C Annie Frost Plymouth Adult Nursing A A Dist D Sam Loescher Bath Elect/Comm Engineering A*A A B Kayleigh Pearse Reading History and Economics A B B Claire Baily (ABCD) Keele English Literature Tasha Haward (A* B B) National Youth Theatre/ski season Lauren Facey (A* Dist B) Art Foundation degree 2011: Aaron King (Edinburgh; Chemistry), George Taylor (Leeds; Geophysics), Emma Weir (Bristol; Biochemistry) Apprenticeships- Rhys McGrath, Corrie Payne Our ALUMNI are very precious to us!
• Nuffield Bursaries, Engineering Educational Scheme • Sutton Trust • Debating Matters, BASE contest, Oxbridge and ATOM conference, Medical Society, Newsletter, Volunteering experiences abroad and at home, RAG, APAUSE, mentoring, Cool to be Clever, Community- Mayor Making, Radio Station, SET, work experience, paid work…. • Much of this is communicated in Bulletin Maybe why we have very few NEET students…..?
• Inter-tutor set competitions eg Quiz • Leavers’ Day, Activities Week, Prom, Christmas event, trips, skiing, Poland, dry slope skiing, cinema, singing group, music and drama • Friendship groups…but we don’t organise these!
• Chris-ATOM Med, Nuffield Bursary, Medical application, work experience
• Kate- Canadian- new to sixth form, APAUSE, Oxbridge conference,
Engineering Project, Nuffield Bursary…
• Andy- Law, Debating, Krakow, Sutton Trust. • Alex- Theatre, Music, SET Chairperson, Mayor Making, cleaner • Tara- non-Uni, Mayor making, Ethiopia, subject support • Dale – Fundraising Chair, RAG Chairperson, our Totaliser!
What makes the Honiton experience different? • Small enough to be able to care about the
individual. • Good teaching in small groups in a wide range of subjects. • Will they enjoy it, build confidence and be well prepared for their next step?