Welcome Veterans! - MiraCosta College

January 9, 2018 | Author: Anonymous | Category: Business, Management, Sales
Share Embed Donate

Short Description

Download Welcome Veterans! - MiraCosta College...


Getting Started at MiraCosta College: Quick guide for new student veterans

NEW STUDENT VETERAN CHECKLIST In order to apply for benefits you must: 

Submit an application for admission to MiraCosta College.

Go to MiraCosta’s Veterans Education Office (building 3300) and obtain all required forms. 

Submit completed forms and a copy of DD214-Member 4 to the Veterans Education Office. Reservist must submit a copy of the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Active Duty need to submit Tuition Assistance form. 

 Request

official transcripts from all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes. This includes military transcripts. Send transcripts to MiraCosta College Admissions and Records Office. Request they be evaluated

Obtain a MiraCosta class schedule. (available online) Select the classes you will take and enroll. Go to SURF to enroll for classes. SURF is on MiraCosta’s homepage online. In your SURF account, you will be able to view your enrollment appointment. Your enrollment appointment is the day you can register for classes.

 You

must be enrolled in classes prior to requesting certification for VA Educational Benefits. These courses must apply toward completion of a degree or approved Certificate of Achievement. **If you are unsure about course selection ASK a general counselor for assistance. General counselors are located in Building 3700 on the Oceanside Campus or in the Admissions building in the San Elijo Campus. 

After you enroll in classes go to the Veterans Education Office and fill out a letter of intent. Bring the letter of intent to the Cashier’s Office for payment. (You will need to repeat this step every semester you are receiving benefits)

If this is your first semester at MiraCosta college you must meet with a counselor to complete an educational plan after all your transcripts have been evaluated. You must have an education plan before the end of your first semester.

CONTINUING STUDENTS  Visit the Veterans Education Office EACH semester after enrolling in courses to request class certification in order to continue receiving VA benefits.

All students must be classified as either resident or non-resident for tuition purposes. Two factors are considered when determining residency classification: 1.


Lived in California for at least one year and one day (physical presence) Taken action to make California their legal residence for at least one year and one day prior to the start of the term (intent to reside)

Students need to prove both physical residence and intent to reside in order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes.


of August 1, 2011, the VA no longer pays out-of-state charges.

The following are examples that may demonstrate a student’s intent to reside in California. At least one of the documents must be dated more than one year prior to the start of the term:  CA Drivers license  Filing California State income taxes  California resident vehicle registration 

    

Employment or carrying on of a business in California Bank statements or bills showing a California address Ownership of property or apartment rental contract/lease in California Active membership in California service or social organizations Verification of California public assistance Transcripts showing California school attendance

Examples of actions that are inconsistent with a claim for California residency:       

Claiming residency in another state Voting in another state Petitioning for a divorce or lawsuit as a resident in another state Claiming residency at an out-of-state institution Filing as a nonresident on income tax Maintaining out of state driver’s license/vehicle registration In California just for school

Note to Active Duty:  If you’re from another state and continue to go to school in CA when discharged, you must change your residential status to CA. Otherwise you will be considered an out-of-state resident.

Required to find out what Math and English courses to take ◦ Unless proof of prerequisite completion is provided. Oceanside Testing Office Bldg. 3300, Rm. 3334 Phone: (760) 795-6685 San Elijo Testing Office Bldg. 100, Rm. 101 Phone: (760) 944-4449 x7752

Testing Hours Call for testing hours.

An education plan outlines the courses you need to complete to successfully transfer, complete a certificate or associates degree at MiraCosta College.

You will need to create an education plan before the end of your first semester at MiraCosta College.

Submit official transcripts for all previously attended colleges, universities, and training institutes to the Office of Admissions and Records (building 3300). Request that they be evaluated. (Submit transcripts well in advance before seeing a counselor, the evaluation process may take several weeks).

Once your transcripts have been evaluated , a counselor will be able to better assist you in creating an education plan.

You must make an appointment as soon as possible with a counselor by one of the following: 

In person ◦ Counseling Office Building 3700

By phone ◦ (760) 795-6670

Online ◦ Through student services link:  Counseling webpage  Veterans Information Center Page

You must choose classes that correspond and fulfill your education plan requirements. Veterans Education Benefits will not cover classes that are not a part of your education plan.

Veterans Education Office (benefits) ◦ Oceanside Campus Building 3300 ◦ Phone: (760) 757-2121 Ext: 6285

Veteran’s Information Center ◦ Oceanside, CA 92056 Building 3000, Room 3033 ◦ Phone: (760) 757-2121 Ext: 6222

On your decision to further your education and expand your career options.

View more...


Copyright � 2017 NANOPDF Inc.