COMMON CORE/PARCC INFORMATIONAL SESSION AGENDA
• Common Core Standards • •
PARCC • About PARCC
Overview of CCS in Math & ELA Implementation of Standards
COMMON CORE INFORMATIONAL SESSION Mr. Larry Penny; Principal Mrs. Regina Haley; Vice Principal ELA Supervisor
Mr. Ryan Winkelspecht Vice Principal Math & Science Supervisor
What are the Common Core State Standards? • The Common Core State Standards, adopted by the New Jersey State Board of Education in 2010, define grade-level expectations from kindergarten through high school for what students should know and be able to do in English Language Arts (ELA) and mathematics to be successful in college and careers.
What is the Common Core? • State education chiefs and governors in 48 states came together to develop the Common Core, a set of clear college- and career-ready standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. Today, 43 states have voluntarily adopted and are working to implement the standards, which are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to take credit bearing introductory courses in two- or four-year college programs or enter the workforce. Common Core Overview: The need for Improved Student Outcomes
Common Core Standards Key shifts in Mathematics
• Greater focus on fewer topics • Coherence: Linking topics and thinking across grades • Rigor: Pursue conceptual understanding, procedural skills and fluency, and application with equal intensity
6th Grade Math Common Core Standards • Ratios and Proportional Relationships – Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
• The Number System – Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions. – Multiply and divide multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples. – Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
• Expressions and Equations – Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions. – Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities. – Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
• Geometry – Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
• Statistics and Probability – Develop understanding of statistical variability. – Summarize and describe distributions.
7th Grade Math Common Core Standards • • •
Ratios and Proportional Relationships – Analyze proportional relationships and use them to solve real-world and mathematical problems. The Number System – Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers. Expressions and Equations – Use properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions. – Solve real-life and mathematical problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations. Geometry – Draw, construct and describe geometrical figures and describe the relationships between them. – Solve real-life and mathematical problems involving angle measure, area, surface area, and volume. Statistics and Probability – Use random sampling to draw inferences about a population. – Draw informal comparative inferences about two populations. – Investigate chance processes and develop, use, and evaluate probability models.
8th Grade Math Common Core Standards • The Number System – Know that there are numbers that are not rational, and approximate them by rational numbers.
• Expressions and Equations – Work with radicals and integer exponents. – Understand the connections between proportional relationships, lines, and linear equations. – Analyze and solve linear equations and pairs of simultaneous linear equations.
• Functions – Define, evaluate, and compare functions. – Use functions to model relationships between quantities.
• Geometry – Understand congruence and similarity using physical models, transparencies, or geometry software. – Understand and apply the Pythagorean Theorem. – Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving volume of cylinders, cones and spheres.
• Statistics and Probability – Investigate patterns of association in bivariate data.
Mathematical Practices • 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them. • 2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively. • 3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. • 4. Model with mathematics. • 5. Use appropriate tools strategically. • 6. Attend to precision. • 7. Look for and make use of structure. • 8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Common Core Standards Key shifts in English Language Arts
• Regular practice with complex texts and their academic language • Reading, writing, and speaking grounded in evidence from texts, both literary and informational • Building knowledge through content-rich nonfiction
ELA Common Core Structure
Assessment & the Common Core An overview of the new CCSS-aligned assessments
Overview • The 3-8 PARCC assessments will be delivered at each grade level and will be based directly on the Common Core State Standards. • The distributed PARCC design includes four components - two required summative and two optional non-summative - to provide educators with timely feedback to inform instruction and provide multiple measures of student achievement across the school year.
Overview Summative Assessment Components: • Performance-Based Assessment (PBA) administered after approximately 75% of the school year. The English language arts/literacy (ELA/literacy) PBA will focus on writing effectively when analyzing text. The mathematics PBA will focus on applying skills, concepts, and understandings to solve multi-step problems requiring abstract reasoning, precision, perseverance, and strategic use of tools. • End-of-Year Assessment (EOY) administered after approximately 90% of the school year. The ELA/literacy EOY will focus on reading comprehension. The mathematics EOY will call on students to demonstrate further conceptual understanding of the Major Content and Additional and Supporting Content of the grade/course (as outlined in the PARCC Model Content Frameworks), and demonstrate mathematical fluency, when applicable to the grade.
PARCC Sample: Math
PARCC Sample: Math
PARCC Sample: ELA
More information on Standards, Program, and Curriculum located at Center for Education site which can be found on BT District Homepage at www.burltwpsch.org
Click to access standard, program, and curriculum info
Glencoe Math Information Math & LA Curriculum Documents
CCSS/PARCC Resources • PARCC Information/Sample Items
• Common Core State Standards • Common Core Video Series
Have a Wonderful 2014-15 School Year!
Contact Information Mr. Larry Penny [email protected]
Mrs. Regina Haley [email protected]
Mr. Ryan Winkelspecht [email protected]